Thursday, January 6, 2011

Poetry: O Kitten, my Kitten!

First poem in over 2 years. Inspired by Walt Whitman's "O Captain, my Captain!"


O Kitten! My Kitten! Your playtime is now done,
The mouse is weathered at the back, and you have won.
The cat tree near, the catnip here, ready for a rolling,
While follow eyes as you walk away, the cat tree calling;
But O purr! purr! purr!
O the golden eyes now shut tight,
Where upon the cat tree my Kitten lies,
Snoozing and purring so soft.

O Kitten! My Kitten! Sleep and purr away;
Sleep – for you are tired from all the play,
For you the cloth mice and cat nip balls for you the floor a-crowding,
For you they call, the cat nip working, the toys eagerly waiting;
Here Kitten! dear little girl!
This hand scratching your head!
It is some dream on that cat tree,
You’re snoozing and purring so soft.

My Kitten does not turn, her eyes are closed so tight;
My little girl feels my hand, mewing softly without a fight;
The toys lay safe and sound, their use now for the day done;
From fitful play the victor comes in with sleep time won;
Exult O mice and ring O balls!
But I, dead from cute,
Walk near where my Kitten lies,
Snoozing and purring so soft.

No comments:

Post a Comment