Friday, December 24, 2010

The trouble of Christmas

The holiday season as a pain patient is always very trying. For one, there is the stress of trying to get shopping done, cooking, trying to figure out what the plans are for the days, and so on. And for someone with IBS, the food is worrisome.

I don't know what foods cause my IBS to act up because it's never consistent. I'm not able to avoid the things that make it happen because I don't know what they are. Last night we had homemade pizza, which was amazing, and not even an hour later I was lying on the bed holding my stomach because it felt like Freddy Kruger was in my large intestine and stabbing me multiple times over with those claws of his.

So tonight we go to his mom's house, and of course there will be food. I don't want a replay of last night. I spend a lot of time trying to hide it when I'm sick around most people. The only ones I don't hide it from are Asher and my mom. I hide it because most people don't understand.

"Take a tums."

Yeah, it's not that easy.

Asher's mom is one of those people who just wouldn't understand. Sometimes I wonder how she got her nursing degree because she knows nothing about illnesses.

Here's to hoping Imodium is enough to keep it under control tonight.

And may everyone have a wonderful Christmas eve.

4 comments:

  1. Hiya, just popped over here from LJ. *waves* I'm a chronic pain sufferer and I also have (albeit mildish) IBS. Just wondering if you've ever tried dicetel? I used it for awhile and it was a lifesaver before I got my guts under control.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I haven't. Is that something you take every day, or just take it when it's starting to come on?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Imodium was what I was thinking at first, then I saw the part about the Tums, and I was like, hmm guess it would probably be the same reaction, then I saw the bottom part of the entry.

    What about taking two, does it still not do anything?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It helps, it just takes a while to work. Sometimes it helps instantly, other times, like the night before, I'm sitting there with horrible cramps for an hour. It just depends.

    ReplyDelete