Sunday, December 26, 2010

Holidays bring out the worst

I've noticed that parties, especially on the holidays, seem to show a lot of true colors. It's ridiculous what people think is acceptable to do in a group setting.

We went to 4 homes this year: my future mother-in-law's, my mom's, my future uncle-in-law's, and my future father-in-law's. 3 of those visits were just fine; in fact, they were very good. But the other? Not so much. Asher's mom and step dad really boggle my mind sometimes.

To start with, his step father decided it would be a good idea to tell a story about a man who stole his car. It was a fine little story up until he said how he had asked the officer to let him in with that *n-word* for just five minutes. Asher saw my face when he said the word and I can tell you it was a mixture of anger and shock. After the story, Asher said very loudly "Go racism!" and got a very, very dirty look.

I guess it was a tradition every year that Asher's grandfather would read "The night before Christmas" each year. I didn't know this because they didn't do it last year, and according to Asher they hadn't done it for a couple of years (probably since he died). This year his mom had his step father do it. Asher was ready to flip. He was so mad.

And then I noticed that his mom had 2 Swarovski ornaments on her tree this year before I gave her the new one. I know she only had 1 last year, so the other must be his grandma's (who died this year). I had been wondering where it was when we were going through everything, and this really pisses me off. It should go to Asher, not her. Or she should have asked.

Then add in all these new things we learned from family, like that she is already telling some of the other kids what they should take of Aunt Dolly's when she dies (his grandma's sister, and Asher's god-mother). SHE'S NOT DEAD YET. STOP IT.

And here I thought I'd have to worry most about my health acting up. Nope. Family is so much worse than chronic pain sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment