Thursday, December 30, 2010

It's like someone is stabbing my brain

These migraines are driving me crazy. Ever since my period started, it's just been migraine after migraine after migraine. Sometimes the medicine works, sometimes it doesn't. And it's changed so now I have to make sure I eat when I take the pills or else all they do is make the migraine worse.

I see my neurologist on Monday, so I'm going to tell him about that. The problem is that I don't have normal migraines. I have what is called transformed migraines. The way my neurologist explained it: think of the migraines like they are a light switch that has an on and an off. Normally, you take a pill and it puts it in the off position. But I was taking things like Imitrex and Excedrin so often that the switch ended up breaking. Now it's always in the on position, and all the pills do is numb the pain for a while and then it comes back with a rebound headache.

So here's my rule guys: don't take a medicine more than 10 times a month. You don't want to get to where I was, trust me. I was having migraines every single day. I was lucky to get a day off a week. And the pills weren't working. It was absolutely horrible.

So what does this mean? There are a lot of migraine medicines I can't take because they are similar to the pills that got to me that bad place. It's possible I just have to deal with these pills and make sure I eat and pray it doesn't make it worse.

I also need to call my gynecologist and get a stronger dose of hormones during my period. We're hoping that helps the migraines lessen, but this last one was a very low dose and he told me if it didn't work to call him so we could try a higher dose.

Either way, thanks to my period, I had 12 migraines this month. Which means I can't afford to have another one this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment