Monday, April 7, 2014

A raging heart

I really need to get back in with a cardiologist. Going off the steroid that is meant to keep sodium stored in me longer has me seeing not only a lot more dizziness, but also a lot of palpitations and while I know it's probably fine, it freaks the crap out of me. It's scary to be laying there in bed and feel your heart pounding in your ears as if you had just finished running a long distance.
I've heard you aren't supposed to be able to feel your heart beat like that until your heart rate is around 130bpm.... that's usually my resting heart rate.
I don't think I'd be quite so jumpy if it weren't for the ICU when the nurses were so freaked out by my heart rate going crazy every time I would shift around in the bed. I wasn't even allowed to brush my teeth because it sent my heart rate into the 160s. 

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, I didn't know steroids were perscribed for that! I, too, can't keep any sodium in my body at all. Very fun. The doctors have never been at all interested in that fact, though, and have just always told me to eat as much salt as I crave but never mentioned medicine! Interesting. In high school I wore a heart monitor a couple times to try to capture my crazy heart palpitations but they just were like "eh, nothing dangerous".

    Have you tried self-medicating with gatorade & frenchfries/popcorn with an entire ocean of salt on it? That's my usual self-medication! *makes cheers motion with the giant gatorade bottle I am currently chugging*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am unable to take in the amount of salt I need just through diet alone, so I was taking a salt pill. And mom had me change over to water a while ago because I have a lot of issues with my teeth and liquids are the easiest way to let sugar affect them.

      Delete